Select the Symbols & Language tab on the User Settings dialog to set your symbol preferences when you are customizing an activity for a specific student. You also use the Symbols & Language Settings to define word prediction settings.
Symbol and language settings are changed through the User Settings dialog. There are two ways you can access the User Settings dialog - through the Edit link on the student profile and from the toolbar of any activity that is playing in the Boardmaker Student Center.
Access the User Settings Dialog From the Student Profile:
Note: If you have a Personal subscription, you must change user settings from the Activity Toolbar in the Student Center. (See below.)
1. Open the Student Profile page. (Students > Student Management > My Students.)
2. Select the Student ID link of the student whose settings you want to customize. His or her Student Profile will open.
3. Select the Edit link to the right of User Settings.
The User Settings dialog will open.
4. Select the Symbols and Language tab.
Access the User Settings Dialog From the Activity Toolbar in the Student Center:
Note: If you have a Personal subscription, you must change user settings from the Activity Toolbar in the Student Center.
From any activity that the student is playing in the Boardmaker Student Center:
1. Select the double arrow at the top left corner of the screen to open the Activity Toolbar.
2. Select the Settings button in the Toolbar. The Settings menu will open.
3. Select User Settings. The User Settings dialog will open.
4. Select the Symbols and Language tab.
Activating Symbol Libraries
Select the check boxes for the symbol libraries you wish to use. The default active symbol libraries are:
- PCS Classic Core - These is the original symbol library of simple, clear drawings developed by Mayer-Johnson for use in augmentative and alternative communication. These symbols are easily recognizable and appropriate for all ages.
- PCS ThinLine - This is a library of symbols, developed by Mayer-Johnson, with a clean, more detailed look.
- System Symbols - This library primarily contains symbols that are used to indicate navigation and gadget functionality.
If you wish to use a language-specific symbol library, select the check box for the library you wish to use.
Filtering Mature ContentYou have the option of filtering the type of symbols that will be returned in your symbol searches. If you want to restrict symbol searches based on content, make a selection from the Mature Content Filtering drop-down menu:
- Select Show all symbols if you don’t want any restrictions on your symbol searches.
- Select Hide explicit symbols to block those symbols in which the representation - the symbol itself - is explicit (clearly and precisely drawn).
- Select Hide symbols of mature words to block those symbols that represent mature themes and that would not be appropriate for students of certain ages or cognitive levels.
Selecting the Symbol Presentation Order
You can choose the order in which the symbols are presented in your symbol searches. You can select a symbol style, human "form," gender, skin color, and age. The software will present symbols in the order you have selected, based on availability of symbols that meet your criteria.
Make your selections under Symbol Presentation Order.
Note: Preferences under Symbol Presentation Order are numbered. These numbers reflect the order in which the presentation order is determined (the first criteria for presentation order will be the symbol style, then the form, gender, etc.)
Select the symbol style that you want to appear first when the results of your symbol search are displayed. Symbols are displayed in the Symbol Style list in the order in which they will be presented.
1. Choose the order in which the styles will be displayed:
a. Select one of the styles shown in the Symbol Style list.
b. Use the Up and Down buttons to move the symbol style up or down in the list.
Shortcut: You can also select a symbol style and drag it up or down in the Symbol Style list.
2. Use the Form drop-down menu to choose the preferred type of illustration depicting the human form.
3. Use the Gender drop-down menu to choose the gender of the human symbols you would like to be displayed first.
4. Use the Skin Color drop-down menu to choose the skin color of the human symbols you would like to be displayed first.
5. Use the Age drop-down menu to choose the preferred age for the human symbols you would like to be displayed first.
Selecting the Symbol ColorSelect the Use Color Symbols or Use Black & White Symbols radio buttons to set your preference for the symbol display.
Word Prediction SettingsYou can change the way that word predictor buttons react when the student types text into a message window.
- Select the Show Symbols with Predictions check box if you want symbols to be displayed with the predicted words.
- Select the Predict Words Only Once check box if you want the predicted word to be replaced if it is not immediately selected. (For example, if the student types the letter "T" into the message window, the first word predictor button will display the word "the." If you have the Predict Words Only Once check box selected, the word "the" will be replaced as soon as the letter "h" is typed. If the check box is not selected, the word "the" will continue to be displayed on the word predictor button until the entire word "the" is typed.)
Important: When you have finished customizing all the user settings (under the Interface, Access Method, Text to Speech, and Symbols and Language tabs, Select Submit to save all of your settings and close the User Settings dialog. If you Select Cancel, all of the changes you have made to the settings will be lost.